3/19/2013

A Simple TX for Experimentation 2N7002 project



OK, so back to practical stuff on the bench. I breadboarded a simple push-pull power-oscillator using a pair of 2N7000 MOSFETs, operating in the HF region. (I've attached an LTSpice model if you want to tinker with it, I used a 2N7002 model and asymmetric bias resistors to keep spice happy, the real circuit uses 2N7000s and starts just fine with 4k7 bias resistors on both sides.)

The "180p" capacitor tunes the tapped coil to the frequency of operation, select or make it variable as desired. In one implementation I put 6v8 zener diodes on the MOSFET gates to protect them against over-voltage destruction, at low powers this is not strictly needed, but at higher powers you may need them. Similarly the pair of 33 pF feedback capacitors need to be selected with the frequency of operation in mind. The MOSFET drain breakdown voltage is also important if you are trying to scale up this circuit. While simple, other approaches are probably better for high powers, the MOSFETs are spending a lot of time in their transition regions, dissipating a lot of power. A purely switching class-E approach is obviously better, but suffers from sensitivity of tuning to load impedance in my brief experiments with it (using an IRF510 device). (I've attached another spice model attempting to show the class-E TX approach, I started with values derived using my class-E power amplifier design calculator, as shown it is not perfectly tuned. The practical circuit tunes up nicely and is quite efficient > 70%.) The breadboard TX in the video above is a class-C version with weak capacitive coupling to the tank to optimise its Q. Yet another approach is half or H-bridges, these show great promise, perhaps driving a magnetically coupled "link" winding rather than the tank directly, allowing the tank to float, and facilitating easy variation of coupling to it to optimise its Q... A subject for more detailed investigation at a later date perhaps.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Wanted to know if you could help me on a project that I need to show the Schematics for, Please do let me know if you can help me with this, at least to do the schematic part. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete