3/28/2013

Big Motor Driver TLP250



I have posted a motor controller design that is supposed to be simple, robust, cost effective, and able to handle high currents.  Above is a schematic of the first part of the design.  I will post an updated version to include a PIC to accept commands from a PC, Microcontroller, etc. and provide the direction/PWM signals to the H-bridge.  I am still working on the PCB but here is what I have done so far for review/critism.  What is not shown in the schematic are the in-line fuses for protection.

For the PIC, I use MBasic and PicBasic Pro to write the code.  This should convert easly to the BS2 and PicAxe.


 I updated the schematic again.  As suggested I changed the MOSFET driver to a TLP250 and dropped the 1K resistor across the Gate to source.
Update the schematic to show that the logic grounds are isolated from the dirty motor grounds.





Finished the PCB design.  Once boards are complete will test and post schematic and board files once any kinks are worked out.




I got the prototype boards back from the manufacture two days after I sent them off.  As you'll see below, the quality is excellent.  Tonight I populated the board and checked out functionality with a multimeter prior to testing with a motor.  I managed to get everything put together right so on to the smoke check.  I hooked up a good size motor with a lot of torque and applied power.  The motor moved in both directions and the MOSFET did not even get warm.  This test was applying full power to the motor and not PWM.  Next, I'll write some code and test functionality with PWM hooked to my Oscope so I can check the signals and see how high I can take the frequency.  I'll get around to posting some video but, in the mean time, here are some pictures of one of the finished boards.


No comments:

Post a Comment